The KU School of Music celebrated the start of another school year with the 11th annual Collage Concert and fundraising reception on Friday, September 24, 2010. The concert took place at 7:30pm at the Lied Center, with a fundraising reception following in the Lied's Seymour Gallery.
The concert was a huge success. Audience members enjoyed a sample of music performed by music faculty and students, including a fun performance by the new music dean, Robert Walzel. The program included:
- Excerpt from Scheherazade by Rimsky-Korsakov, performed by Lukasz Lagun on violin and the KU Symphony Orchestra--conducted by Professor David Neely.
- Danny Boy, performed by the Chamber Singers, conducted by Paul Tucker.
- Tico Tico by Zequinha de Abreu, performed by the KU Trumpet Ensemble, Clint Ashlock as soloist, directed by Steve Leisring.
- Within . . . by Ian Clarke, performed by the KU Flute Choir- David Fedele, director.
- Concerto for Clarinet by Artie Shaw, performed by the KU Jazz Ensemble I, directed by Dan Gailey, featuring Dean Robert Walzel on clarinet.
- Akasa Vajrapani, music by KU';s Kip Haaheim, and video by Nathan Hoffman.
- "Flower Duet" from Lakmé by Leo Delibes, performed by KU vocal and piano students.
- Shifty by Dennis DeSantis, performed by the KU Percussion Group, led by Ji Hye Jung.
- Etude-Tableau in D major, Op. 39, No. 9 by Rachmaninoff, performed by Joshua Charles on piano.
- Radiant Joy by Steven Bryant, performed by the KU Wind Ensemble with Paul Popiel conducting.
- America the Beautiful performed by the KU Choirs and Wind Ensemble, Paul Tucker conducting.
- Performance by KU's Marching Jayhawks.
The fundraising reception following the concert was a wonderful opportunity for music patrons to join together and support the School's Student Opportunity Fund. The attendees were treated to presentations by a few of our music students, as well as an invitation to join the KU School of Music support group.
The following patrons generously donated to the Collage event this year, and we thank them for their patronage. We look forward to another wonderful year at the KU School of Music!
School of Music Student Opportunity Fund
Reach Out Kansas, Inc.
Law Offices of Smithyman & Zakoura,
Overland Park, Kansas
Joyce Malicky Castle
William M. & Carolie Hougland
Bob & Marna J. Moore
Mrs. Dane G. Bales Sally A. Hare-Schriner &
Frank & Barbara Becker Dan Schriner
Beverly & William Benso Kathleen M. Hickert &
Colene S. DeHoff & Alvin J. Kirmer
Gene Botts Margaret Mahoney
Hurst Coffman Ed & Janeth Miller
Stephen & Chris Edmonds Judith Parkinson
Roth & Joan Gatewood Dick & Nancy Pratt
Ray & Mary Lee Hummert Robert & Barbara Wunsch
Miriam W. Blum Don J. Kallos
Patricia L. & Albert D. Campbell Don W. & Tammy L. Steeples
Samuel L. & Hillary Young Guenther Vincent M. & Louise E. Tharp
Robert E. & Leah H. Hemenway Virginia Visser
KU Dining Services
Ray's Liquor Warehouse