LAWRENCE-The KU School of Music is pleased to present the 2011 Holiday Vespers at the Lied Center and the Vespers-on-the-Road concert in Overland Park.
87th annual Holiday Vespers, “Home for the Holidays”
- Dec. 4, 2:30pm and 7:30pm, Lied Center of Kansas
- KU Youth Chorus, directed by Professor Debra Hedden, will perform prior to the 2:30pm concert in the Lied Center lobby; Opus 5 Wind Quintet, coached by Professor Paul Stevens, will perform in the lobby prior to the 7:30pm performance.
- Tickets $12.50/general admission & $10/senior citizens and students.
- KU students FREE to 7:30pm performance! (must bring student ID)
Pre-Vespers Organ Concerts
- Dec. 4, 1:30pm and 6:30pm, Bales Organ Recital Hall
- Free Admission
- Pre-concert organ recitals will feature performances by Lawrence 5 (student brass quintet), Madison Mikenna (soprano), and Dina Pannabecker Evans (organ), with music from Handel’s Messiah and a sing-a-long arranged by Paul Tucker.
This year’s 87th annual Holiday Vespers program will feature Professor Steven Spooner opening the concert with Tchaikovsky’s Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat minor, followed by Ave Maria performed by KU choirs with student soloists Eric Abney (bass) and Alex Goering (tenor). The concert will continue with a swing version of It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year, Polish Carol/”Infant Holy,” On the Beautiful Blue Danube by Johann Strauss, Ose Shalom, Walter Kent’s I’ll Be Home for Christmas, Love Can Build a Bridge, and more. Additionally, the traditional sing-a-long will provide the audience an opportunity to join in the fun! Additionally, Professor Peter Chun will perform the Bruch Romance. The evening's conductors include Paul Tucker, David Neely and Carlos Espinosa.
Attendees to this year’s Holiday Vespers at the Lied Center also can take advantage of an additional opportunity provided by the School of Music and Oread Hotel. Patrons will be able to park at the Lied Center, take provided transportation to the Oread for a holiday dinner, and return to the Lied Center for the concert. The cost for the dinner is $27 per person and is available for both the 2:30pm and 7:30pm Vespers concerts on December 4 in Lawrence. For more information, please contact Dina Pannabecker Evans at the School of Music, 785-864-4466.
- Friday, Dec. 2, 7:30pm, Carlsen Center/Johnson County Community College
- FREE Admission, but tickets are necessary. Call 913-469-4445 to reserve seats.
For the third year in a row, the KU School of Music presents a Vespers concert in Overland Park. KU Vespers-on-the-Road will take place at Johnson County Community College, Carlsen Center. The program for this evening performance will be the same as for the Lawrence Holiday Vespers concerts. This outreach holiday concert is sponsored by Reach Out Kansas, Inc., the Law Offices of Smithyman and Zakoura, and the Zakoura Family Foundation.
For more information, contact the KU School of Music at 785-864-3436. MUSIC.KU.EDU