Mark your calendars and join the KU School of Music for a fun, spooktacular evening!
The KU Symphony Orchestra/KUSO will perform a Halloween concert on Friday, October 29, 2010, at 7:30pm, in the Lied Center auditorium. Preceding the concert at 6:30pm will be a community-wide costume contest in the Lied Center lobby.
The 6:30pm costume contest will be open to three categories: Youth (up to age 18), Collegiate and Adult. Baby Jay, the Oread and Eldridge Hotels, and School of Music Dean Robert Walzel will judge the contest, and prizes will be given to the top winners of each category.
Additionally, the KU Sigma Alpha Iota chapter will hold an "instrument petting zoo" during this time. This will be an opportunity for young concert-goers to hold and play instruments that will hear during the KUSO concert. The public is welcome to come out and play the instruments of the orchestra! All ages are welcome and prizes will be provided for those who show in costume.
The KUSO will complete the evening with a Halloween-themed concert in the Lied auditorium at 7:30pm. The concert will feature a variety of spooky orchestral works including "Imperial March" (Darth Vader's theme) from The Empire Strikes Back; "Totentanz" (Dance of Death) featuring soloist Kent Queener; Gounod's "Funeral March for a Marionette" (also known as the Alfred Hitchcock theme); Grieg's "In the Hall of the Mountain King" from Peer Gynt; Herrmann's "Prelude and Nightmare" from Vertigo; and Berlioz's "March to the Scaffold" and "Witches' Sabbath" from Symphonie Fantastique. The concert will be conducted by David Neely, KU Director of Orchestral Activities.
"This concert was a huge hit with the audience at its inauguration last year, so we cannot wait to continue the tradition with our 2010 KU Symphony Halloween performance," said Neely. "Imagine a costumed orchestra and conductor performing a potpourri of spooky and wild orchestral music with colorful lighting and gags built in--perfect entertainment for all audiences!" Neely added, "Come dressed in your scariest Halloween garb for the pre-concert festivities, and stay for the dynamic concert!"
Winners of the costume contest will be announced during the 7:30pm concert. Tickets to the KUSO concert are $7/gen admission and $5/students and seniors. Tickets can be purchased through the Lied Center Box Office at 785-864-2787 (either ahead of time or the evening of the event).
Sponsors for the KU Symphony Orchestra Halloween Costume Contest are The Eldridge and Oread Hotels and KU Bookstores-The Official Bookstore of KU.
KU Symphony Orchestra Halloween Concert + Costume Contest:
- Lied Center of Kansas
- 6:30pm: Costume contest and instrument petting zoo in Lied Center lobby-both free and open to the public
- 7:30pm: KU Symphony Orchestra Halloween concert in Lied Center auditorium--$7/gen admission and $5/students and seniors. Tickets available at the Lied Center Box Office or by calling 785-864-278--tickets will be available at the door that evening!
- Judges for the contest: Baby Jay, the Eldridge and Oread Hotels and Music Dean Robert Walzel
- Prizes will be given to the top winners of each costume contest category! Prizes include:
- Youth Category: Jayhawk backpack with treats inside, provided by KU Bookstores-The Official Bookstore of KU
- Collegiate Category: Dinner for two at Bird Dog in the Oread Hotel and two VIP passes to the CAVE, Lawrence's hottest 21+ nightclub
- Adult Category: one-night stay at The Oread (M-Thursday), Lawrence's newest premiere hotel
Visit music.ku.edu or call 785-864-3436 for more information