KU School of Music presents the 11th annual Collage Concert—featuring performance by new deanNEWS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
KU School of Music presents the 11th annual Collage Concert—featuring performance by new dean
LAWRENCE-The KU School of Music is thrilled to usher in the new school year with the 11th annual Collage Concert. This year;s concert will be held at the Lied Center at 7:30pm on Friday, September 24, 2010. Admission is $15/general admission and $10/students and seniors.
The Collage Concert is an opportunity for the community to come out and experience the full-range of talents of KU music faculty and students. This year's event will welcome the new Dean of Music, Robert Walzel, to campus. Dr. Walzel, who joins the University of Kansas from the University of Utah School of Music, will also perform at this year's concert. The program is as follows:
- Excerpt from Scheherazade by Rimsky-Korsakov, performed by Lukasz Lagun on violin and the KU Symphony Orchestra--conducted by Professor David Neely.
- Danny Boy, performed by the Chamber Singers, conducted by Paul Tucker.
- Tico Tico by Zequinha de Abreu, performed by the KU Trumpet Ensemble, Clint Ashlock as soloist, directed by Steve Leisring.
- Within . . . by Ian Clarke, performed by the KU Flute Choir- David Fedele, director.
- Concerto for Clarinet by Artie Shaw, performed by the KU Jazz Ensemble I, directed by Dan Gailey, featuring Dean Robert Walzel on clarinet.
- Akasa Vajrapani, music by KU';s Kip Haaheim, and video by Nathan Hoffman.
- "Flower Duet" from Lakmé by Leo Delibes, performed by KU vocal and piano students.
- Shifty by Dennis DeSantis, performed by the KU Percussion Group, led by Ji Hye Jung.
- Etude-Tableau in D major, Op. 39, No. 9 by Rachmaninoff, performed by Joshua Charles on piano.
- Radiant Joy by Steven Bryant, performed by the KU Wind Ensemble with Paul Popiel conducting.
- America the Beautiful performed by the KU Choirs and Wind Ensemble, with Paul Tucker conducting.
Following the concert will be a ticketed fundraising reception in the Seymour Gallery of the Lied Center. Dean Walzel will be introduced, and the attendees will be invited to join the new School of Music support group. Tickets to the reception are $75 (includes entry into the concert), and proceeds will go to the School of Music Student Opportunity Fund. For those interested in the fundraising reception, please contact the Dean's Office at 785-864-3422.
For more information, contact the KU School of Music at 785-864-3436. www.music.ku.edu