• Home
  • Academics
  • Degrees
  • Undergraduate Degree Programs
  • B.M.E.
  • Student Teaching Internship & Licensure

Undergraduate Degree Programs

Student Teaching & Internship, or MEMT 498 & 499, are the culminating experiences of the undergraduate music education course of study. Both courses entail integrative, supervised professional activities and responsibilities in the surrounding public school systems that are mentored by expert PreK-12 cooperating teachers and university faculty. The goal of the student teaching & internship coursework is to provide pre-service teachers (i.e., students enrolled in MEMT 498 and 499) with authentic, longitudinal instructional experiences in the field and to prepare them for teaching licensure in multiple forms of music education, grades PreK-12.

MEMT 498, Student Teaching, offers pre-service teachers 6 weeks of experience in a secondary area of choice. MEMT 499, Internship, offers pre-service teachers 11 weeks of experience in a primary area of choice. Pre-service teachers must enroll concurrently in MEMT 498 and 499 for the final semester of their music education degree program. Pre-service teachers must teach in two contrasting school levels: (1) elementary, and (2) middle (or junior-high) or high school. Typically, emphasis is given to area(s) and school level(s) in which pre-service teachers intend to work following licensure. To receive Student Teaching and Internship assignments, students must submit the required paperwork indicating their preferred placements to the appropriate faculty member for processing and approval by the assigned due dates. Students may not apply to student teach or intern at a school previously attended or with a teacher under whom they previously studied.

While enrolled in MEMT 498 and 499, students may not participate or enroll in any other classes or ensembles. Outside employment is vigorously discouraged. MEMT 498 and 499 are intense and time-consuming experiences. Pre-service teachers must devote themselves full time to work in the schools and match their calendar with that of the cooperating schools, not the KU academic calendar.

MEMT requires all pre-service teachers to achieve a grade of ‘C’ or higher in MEMT 498, Student Teaching, and MEMT 499, Internship. Pre-service teachers who earn a C- or below in MEMT 498 or 499 are required to repeat both courses. MEMT 498 and 499 may be repeated only once during the pre-service teacher’s enrollment at KU, and only with faculty approval.


The Bachelor of Music Education undergraduate degree program at the KU School of Music meets the educational requirements for licensure in the state of Kansas. Teacher licensure, however, is a function of the Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE), not the University.  When an individual has successfully completed an approved teacher education program at the University of Kansas, the University can recommend that the individual be licensed by the State of Kansas.  The KSDE may establish additional requirements that must be met before the license is issued.  At present the Kansas State Department of Education requires scores on two standardized examinations for initial music education licensure. A score of 160 or higher on the Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT)examination is required for teacher licensure.  The Secondary 7-12 version of the PLT (Educational Testing Service Test #5624) is most appropriate for music education majors. The KSDE also requires a score of 152 or higher on the Praxis II Music examination (ETS test #5113) for music teacher licensure. 

At present, the initial licensure is valid for two years from issue. To renew the license, the teacher must successfully complete requirements established by his or her employer. 

Students should read the instructions regarding Kansas Licensing Exams in addition to all other Licensure information on the KU School of Education website before their final semester at KU.  This information is located at https://soehs.ku.edu/student-life/licensure

To obtain a license or certification in a state other than Kansas or a US territory after completion of the program, it is highly recommended that students first seek guidance from the appropriate licensing agency BEFORE beginning the academic program to ensure they can obtain a license or certification in your home state or territory.  The website  https://nc-sara.org/professional-licensure-directory provides resources for licensure and certification boards outside of Kansas. If students move outside the state of Kansas, they should please contact their  advisor within 14 calendar days to determine if you can obtain a license or certification in your new location.

School of Music Calendar
Music students present hundreds of public concerts every year
Students perform in KU choirs, concert bands, pep bands, ensembles, symphony orchestra, and jazz combos
The school owns one of the greatest jazz record collections in the world
KU Wind Ensemble performed the world premiere of the symphony "In the Shadow of No Towers" at Carnegie Hall
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.