Inclusion, Diversity, Equality and Access
Friday, June 5, 2020
The KU School of Music acknowledges the pain and anger that communities of color are experiencing as our nation deals with the impact of systemic racism and police brutality. We stand in solidarity with our Black students, their families and the entire African American community in condemning the killings of George Floyd, Amaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, David McAtee and the innumerable others from the Black community who have suffered or lost their lives as a result of this brutality. Read more.
The School of Music (“School”) at the University of Kansas is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for its students, faculty, and staff. As such the School pledges to:
- Recognize that diversity in the School’s faculty and staff, classrooms, ensembles, studios, and organizations is critical to maintaining academic and artistic excellence.
- Provide an equitable and safe environment that embraces and respects all people, regardless of their race, ethnicity, gender identity, age, disability status, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, first-generation status, socio-economic status, citizenship status, national origin, and veteran status.
- Acknowledge that sustained dedication to these values is only possible through:
- ongoing professional and personal development in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, access, and social justice.
- the development of policies that encourage the recruitment and retention of faculty, staff, and students from diverse background.