Featuring community-wide costume contest, instrument petting zoo, and culminating with orchestra concert, “Cowboys vs. Aliens!”
LAWRENCE-The KU Symphony Orchestra/KUSO will perform a Halloween concert on Friday, October 28, 2011, at 7:30pm, in the Lied Center auditorium. Preceding the concert at 6:30pm will be a community-wide costume contest in the Lied Center Seymour Gallery.
The 6:30pm costume contest will be open to three categories: Youth (up to age 18), Collegiate and Adult. Judges for the contest include Baby Jay; Nancy Longhurst, General Manager of The Olivia Collection which includes The Eldridge, The Eldridge Extended and The Oread, Lawrence’s newest premiere hotel; and Dena Register, KU professor of music education and music therapy. Prizes will be given to the top winners of each category. The emcee for this year’s costume contest will be J. Schafer, News Director for Kansas Public Radio. Winners of the costume contest will be announced during the concert.
Additionally, the KU Sigma Alpha Iota chapter will hold an "instrument petting zoo" in the Seymour Gallery prior to the concert. This is a fantastic opportunity for concert-goers to hold and play instruments heard during the concert--all ages are welcome!
The KUSO will complete the evening with a concert in the Lied auditorium at 7:30pm. This year’s concert, “COWBOYS VS. ALIENS,” will feature cowboy classics such as Aaron Copland's Rodeo, as well as film scores, all with an outer space or Western theme. Trekkies, alien hunters, Chewbaccas, and High Plains drifters will not want to miss this event--get ready for the Mother Ship to land in the Lied Center!
“This event has been a huge hit, so we cannot wait to continue the tradition this year," said Professor David Neely, Director of Orchestral Activities and conductor of the Symphony Orchestra. "Imagine a costumed orchestra and conductor performing cowboy and other-worldly music on the Lied stage, with colorful lighting and gags built in--perfect entertainment for all audiences!" Neely added, "Come dressed in your best Halloween costume for the pre-concert festivities, and stay for the concert!”
Tickets are $7/gen admission and $5/students and seniors. Tickets can be purchased through the Lied Center Box Office at 785-864-2787 (either ahead of time or the evening of the event).
KU Symphony Orchestra Halloween Concert + Costume Contest:
- Lied Center of Kansas
- 6:30pm: Costume contest and instrument petting zoo in Lied Center lobby, hosted by J. Schafer of Kansas Public Radio. Prizes will be given to the top winners of each costume contest category and will be announced during the concert. Winners must be present to claim prizes. Prizes include:
- Youth Category: Jayhawk backpack with goodies inside, provided by KU Bookstores-The Official Bookstore of KU.
- Collegiate Category: Gift certificate for dinner at The Oread or Eldridge Hotel.
- Adult Category: one-night stay at The Oread Hotel.
- 7:30pm: KU Symphony Orchestra Halloween concert in Lied Center auditorium: “COWBOYS VS. ALIENS!”
For more information, contact the KU School of Music at 785-864-3436. www.music.ku.edu