The KU School of Music is pleased to welcome the International Institute for Young Musicians (IIYM) Summer Music Academy back for another exciting year of student music study and competition, July 9-29, 2011.
IIYM, led by Dr. Scott McBride Smith, is an internationally recognized course of study for young pianists from around the world. Smith, who has a master's degree in piano from KU and is the professor of piano pedagogy at the University of Kansas, is the President and Chief Executive Officer of IIYM. He created the organization in 1990 to provide music study opportunities for young musicians from around the world. During the summer program, students are exposed to intensive study to improve their mastery of performance; they spend time practicing and performing recitals and studying with the artists on the faculty.
This year's IIYM program features 75 students, ranging from ages 9 to 19, arriving from all over the world to participate. Local youth participating in this year's program include Chaeyoung Park and Luke Rhodes of Lawrence; Grace Brungardt of Wichita; and Isabel Keleti of Overland Park.
This year's academy will again kick off with the International Piano Competition Semi-Finals and Finals, and will feature the popular Winners Concert (a ticketed event). Below is a list of IIYM events open to the public (all events open to the public take place at Spooner Hall/The Commons except for the July 27 Honors Recital which will take place at the Hall Center for the Humanities):
· Saturday, July 9, 10am-8pm: (approximately) International Piano Competition Semi-Finals, free and open to the public. Spooner Hall/The Commons. 1340 Jayhawk Blvd, Lawrence, KS.
· Sunday, July 10, 1-6pm (approximately): International Piano Competition Finals, free and open to the public. Spooner Hall/The Commons.
· Thursday, July 14, 7:30 pm: Honors Recital, free and open to the public. Spooner Hall/The Commons.
· Saturday, July 16, 2:30pm: Winners Concert for the International Piano Competition. Tickets $10 at the door. Spooner Hall/The Commons.
· Wednesday, July 20, 7:30pm: Honors Recital, free and open to the public. Spooner Hall/The Commons.
· Wednesday, July 27, 7:30pm: Honors Recital, free and open to the public. Hall Center for the Humanities. 900 Sunnyside Avenue, Lawrence, KS.
Local participants Chaeyoung Park and Luke Rhodes will appear on Kansas Public Radio, 91.5 fm at 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday, July 6, 2011. The IIYM competition winners will appear on Kansas Public Radio, 91.5 fm on Tuesdays July 12, 19, and 26, at 11 a.m.
For additional information on the 2011 IIYM Summer Music Academy, please contact the KU School of Music at 785-864-3436 or visit www.iiym.com.