The Music Enterprise Graduate Certificate is designed to provide foundational understanding and experiences in establishing, managing, promoting, and otherwise successfully operating business enterprises in the music industry. The intent of the certificate is not to provide comprehensive training in all non-performance aspects of the music business, but rather, to allow students to explore how to combine their own musical interests and priorities with the tools and concepts necessary to function creatively in the music industry of today, while also preparing to be adaptable for the changing landscape of music production and consumption in the future.
Contact: Brandon Draper, Director of the Music Enterprise Certificate
The Music Enterprise Certificate requires a minimum of 12 credit hours of coursework, distributed into the categories listed below.
There are three ways for graduate students to add the certificate to their record:
- Apply to KU Graduate Certificate Program (not admitted to KU as a degree-seeking student)
- Apply to Add a Certificate as a current degree-seeking KU student (only for students outside of the School of Music graduate program)
- Apply internally to add the certificate to their degree-seeking plan (only for current music graduate students)
- Director of Music Enterprise Certificate: Brandon Draper, email@example.com
- Director of Student Services: Rita Riley, firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-864-2954
- Graduate Student Academic Services: email@example.com or 785-864-1952.
A list of all course offerings can be found on the Schedule of Classes.
Topics, Products, and Projects Research
- live music groups
- outreach programs/schools
- business models and focus on entrepreneurship
- market assessment
- accounting and taxes
- personal assessment/skills inventory
- business planning
- all genres from classical to punk rock
Recent Guests Include
- Luis Guerra - composer, arranger, producer (Revisionist History, Freakonomics) Los Angeles, CA
- Nathan Meckel - writer, producer, publisher (Stereophonic Films) Nashville, TN
- Aaron Draper - percussionist (Eminem, Adele, Justin Bieber)
- Oz McGuire - Ingrooves, Universal Music Group Los Angeles, CA
- Jade Brown - legal council (Mammoth Productions) Lawrence, KS
- Nick Semrad - pianist, artist, producer (Cory Henry, Donny McCaslin)
- Don Simon - attorney, label executive (Lost Cowgirl Records) Kansas City MO
- Anthony Saunders - composer, producer (Justin Bieber, Janet Jackson)
- Clair Marlo - writer, publisher, producer - Universal Music Group (over 3000 active sync licenses in film and tv) - Los Angeles
Music Enterprise Certificate
Music Area (9 hours)
Business or Related Area (3 hours)
Choose 1 graduate-level course from the School of Business or a related area approved by the program advisor.
|ENTR or Other Approved Course||3|
|12 Total Credit Hours|
|3.0 Cumulative GPA|
|Applied for Graduation in Enroll & Pay|