Piano students place at Kansas Music Teachers Association competition
KU School of Music had several placements at the Kansas Music Teachers Association competition, taking home eight of the ten spots for prizes.
The Music Teachers National Association's national competitions are the most successful and prestigious student competitions in the country, with thousands of students competing for prizes and national recognition. The purpose of the competitions is to provide educational experiences for students and teachers and to recognize exceptionally talented young artists and their teachers in their pursuit of musical excellence.
Here’s a breakdown of the results.
MTNA - Young Artist Piano Competition
- Winner - Mingfu Han (Yi-Yang Chen)
- Alternate - Jianzhi Wu (Yi-Yang Chen)
- Honorable Mention - Daniel Yang (Scott Smith)
KMTA - Graduate Piano Competition
- 1st Place - Yinge Huang (Michael Kirkendoll)
- 2nd Place - Yi-Ting Tsai (Yi-Yang Chen)
- 3rd Place - Bronze Medal (Yi-Yang Chen)
KMTA - Freshman / Sophomore Piano Competition
- 1st Place - Haiqi Zhang (Yi-Yang Chen)
KMTA Junior / Senior Piano competition
- 2nd Place - Shiyuan Cai (Yi-Yang Chen)