Apply & Audition
Prospective undergraduate students must complete two separate applications:
1. To apply for admission to the University of Kansas please visit: KU Admissions »
2. To apply for admission and audition for KU School of Music please complete the KU School of Music Audition Packet
- November 1 - Priority deadline for admissions to any area within the School of Music.
- February 1 - Deadline for music scholarship applications.
All applicants must also meet or exceed academic requirements and successfully complete the audition process.
Incoming Freshman - Kansas residents and non-residents
To qualify for admission, new freshmen must submit a completed application with the $30 fee before the November 1 priority deadline and meet the following requirements:
- Achieve an ACT score of 21 or above, or SAT score of 1060 or above with a 3.25 or higher cumulative GPA
- Or, achieve an ACT score of 24 or above, or SAT score of 1160 or above with a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA
- If applicable, all students are required to achieve a 2.75 or higher GPA on any college credit taken in high school
International Applicants please visit:
Students transferring to School of Music from another college or university - including another school at KU - must have a 2.75 GPA.
Former KU students seeking readmission must have left KU in good standing and have a successful audition. If requesting admission after attending another institution, then the student must meet transfer admission requirements (see above).
School of Music Auditions:
- All music students must audition for acceptance to a music degree program.
- Audition details are found in the KU School of Music Audition Packet.
- The Audition Application Form and Audition Time Form must be submitted at least three weeks before your preferred audition date.
- Audition times are confirmed by email and on the phone.
- Admittance letters will be sent within two weeks after the audition.
- Music scholarships are awarded to students majoring in music, except athletic band scholarships.
- Late audition applications will be considered on a space available basis.
School of Music (SOM) graduate study includes program areas within 2 units:
MUSIC includes programs in Music Composition, Church Music, Conducting, Musicology, Music Theory, and Performance. Graduate MUSIC Degrees are Master of Music or MM, Doctor of Musical Arts or DMA (Performance areas) and Doctor of Philosophy or PhD (Musicology or Music Theory).
MUSIC Graduate Application Document(pdf) Download this document for complete instructions and information regarding the application process including international student information, transcript requirements, GRE requirements, and English proficiency requirements.
MEMT (Music Education and Music Therapy) includes programs in music education or music therapy. Graduate MEMT (Music Education or Music Therapy) Degrees (ME-MME, MT-MME, PhD in Music Ed or Music Therapy)
MEMT Graduate Application Procedure (pdf) Download the document for complete instructions and information regarding the application process for Music Education and Music Therapy graduate applicants. This document is also found on the MEMT Graduate Documents & Forms page.
Admission for graduate studies in the KU School of Music begins with the MUSIC or MEMT application information document above and then with an online application (either domestic or international), through KU Graduate Studies application process ». The School of Music accepts only online applications.
School of Music Graduate Application Deadlines (MUSIC and MEMT)
- Priority consideration deadline for applicants interested in University Fellowships or Graduate Teaching Assistantships (GTAs) for Fall term the following year.
- Final consideration deadline for applicants interested in Graduate Teaching Assistantships (if positions are still available) for Fall term the following year.
- Final consideration deadline of international applicant admission materials for Summer term entry.
- Final consideration deadline for all domestic application materials for Summer and Fall terms
- Final consideration deadline for all international application materials for Fall term
Readmission or Leave of Absence
Graduate students must be continuously enrolled in fall and spring semesters to remain active. Students should contact their graduate program directly to verify their status if not continuously enrolled. Graduate students are strongly urged to take an approved leave of absence if they are considering taking time away from their degree program.
MUSIC students interested in readmission or leave of absence should contact Jane Gnojek firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. International students must contact the International Student Services (ISS) office for information regarding the visa requirements for readmission.
MEMT students interested in readmission or leave of absence should download the MEMT Process to Request LOA/RFA/Readmit document located on the MEMT Graduate Documents & Forms page. Contact Lois Elmer email@example.com for assistance.
Applicants for the MM and DMA in Performance are required to audition on their major instrument. Audition requirements are listed by instrument in the Graduate Audition Requirements (pdf). Applicants for the conducting degrees must provide a video audition as described in the audition packet.
Once you have completed your graduate application to KU, you may schedule an audition by completing and submitting the Graduate Audition Application.
IMPORTANT NOTE: All piano and voice majors for the MM degree and the DMA degree must submit a pre-screening audition to Acceptd », an online audition upload service.
2017 Graduate Audition Dates for Piano, Percussion, Woodwinds, Strings, and Church Music-Choral Conducting voice auditions:
- Friday, February 10, 2017 - Graduate Voice auditions only
- Saturday, February 11, 2017
- Saturday, February 18, 2017
- Friday, February 24, 2017 - additional Graduate piano audition date
Organ, Church Music-Organ emphasis applicants must schedule an audition with the division director. Brass applicants must schedule auditions with the instrument professor. Please see the Graduate Audition Requirements (pdf) for contact information.
VOICE/OPERA AUDITIONS ONLY:Applicants interested in the Lyric Opera of Kansas City apprenticeship program should plan to perform a live audition on the preferred graduate audition date, February 10, 2017. You can get more information about the Kansas City Lyric Opera apprenticeship program on the School of Music VOICE webpage.
MEMT graduate applicants DO NOT submit audition materials, except as directed in the MEMT Graduate Application Procedure document. The document is also located on the MEMT Graduate Documents and Forms page.