2021-22 Ensemble Auditions
The KU Jazz Program has three Jazz Ensembles and six Jazz Combos. All KU Jazz Ensembles and Jazz Combos are open to ALL students, regardless of major!
Auditions are held at the beginning of fall semester for placement in Jazz Ensembles and Jazz Combos. Students must audition to be placed in a Jazz Ensemble and/or Jazz Combo. Ensemble placements are for the entire academic year; if any ensemble members need to change to a different ensemble or drop out between semester, a separate ensemble audition procedure will be announced in November to fill these spots for spring semester.
Jazz Ensembles (big bands) meet as follows:
- Jazz Ensemble I (Dan Gailey, director)—T/Th, 11:00 AM-12:45 PM—Murphy 114
- Jazz Ensemble II (Brian Ward, director)—M/W/F, 11:00-11:50 AM—Murphy 114
- Jazz Ensemble III (Dan Gailey, director)—M/W/F, 10:00-10:50 AM—Murphy 114
Audition results/ensemble rosters will be sent via email and posted on the bulletin board outside of Murphy 122 no later than Wednesday, August 25 at 7:00 PM CDT. Rehearsals begin on Thursday, August 26.
Everyone must enroll in the appropriate class for the ensemble they are placed in. You have the option of enrolling for 1 credit hour or 0 credit hour per ensemble:
- Jazz Ensembles—enroll in JAZZ 408 (undergrads) or JAZZ 708 (grad students)
- Jazz Combos—enroll in JAZZ 409 (undergrads) or JAZZ 709 (grad students)
You may enroll before auditions, and after results are posted you may make a switch to the correct section during the online drop/add period. No permission codes are necessary for ensemble or combo enrollment.
- Sign up for an audition time on the bulletin board outside of Murphy 122 anytime starting Monday, August 16. Please sign up using your KU ID NUMBER ONLY.
- Audition Times:
Saxophones: Tuesday, August 24, 2:00-4:00 PM
Trumpets: Wednesday, August 25, 12:00-2:00 PM
Trombones: Tuesday, August 24, 4:00-6:00 PM
Drums: Tuesday, August 24, 11:00 AM-12:50 PM
Piano/Guitar/Bass/Voice/Other Instruments: Wednesday, August 25, 2:15-5:00 PM
- Before your audition—please fill out the online KU Jazz Audition Form
- Do not list your KU ID number anywhere on the Audition Form, as this will help preserve anonymity for auditions.
- When it is time for your audition, please check in first with the Audition Proctor outside of Murphy 114—please try to be here at least 10 minutes before your scheduled audition time.
- Auditions are done “blind”—the audition panel will be set up behind a screen in the audition room. You will be escorted in and out of the audition room by the Audition Proctor.
- Leave ALL instrument cases in the hallway—do not assemble/tear down instruments in the audition room.
Auditions will consist of the following:
1. Play the prepared piece for your instrument (without backing track)
Piano and guitar — play the melody with repeat as written, then comp chord changes in time for one chorus.
Bass — play the melody with repeat as written, then play a walking bass line in time for one chorus.
Drums — play the provided prepared piece as if you were playing it with a big band.
All others — play the written melody only (with repeat as written).
2. Sight-reading chosen by the audition panel
3. Improvisation with a backing track (required for solo chairs in big bands, and for all combo personnel except drummers; optional for all others. This will be the same tune as the prepared piece (“Perhaps”—Charlie Parker) but done at the end of the audition—play 2 to 3 choruses of improvised solo with the backing track.
Drums will not do the improvisation portion of the audition, but will instead be asked to demonstrate the following styles/grooves: Medium swing, fast swing (bebop), bossa nova, samba, jazz waltz, brushes (medium swing)
- DRUMMERS — an audition set with cymbals will be provided. You must bring your own sticks and brushes to your audition.
- BASS and GUITAR — amps will be provided for your audition. You must bring your own patch cord to your audition.
Prepared Pieces & Backing Tracks
- Perhaps, Alto/Bari Sax (.pdf)
- Drum audition music (.pdf)
- Perhaps, Piano, Guitar, and other instruments (.pdf)
- Perhaps, Trombones and Bass Clef (.pdf)
- Perhaps, Trumpet and Tenor Sax (.pdf)