Thank you for your interest in the KU Drumline!
Similar to last season, the 2021 University of Kansas Drumline Audition process has been changed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The first round of auditions will be submitted via video. The video should be posted (unlisted) on YouTube, with the link sent to Alex Vallar, our drumline instructor. The deadline for sending in this video is 11:59 pm, Saturday, June 19. ALL INCOMING STUDENTS auditioning for the drumline must send in a video link. Requirements for the video are listed under the “Downloadable drumline materials” below. Returning drumline members are required to submit a video audition as well.
Students will receive feedback via email on their audition. Students who pass the first round of the audition will be invited to join the KU Drumline and attend Drumline Camp and Band Camp. However, the specific instrument assignments will not be determined until Drumline Camp.
Drumline Camp begins Tuesday, August 10, 2021. Students who live in KU housing will be able to move-in that day. Drumline camp runs morning, afternoon, and evenings. The rest of the band will move-in and begin camp on Sunday, August 15. Note that final instrument placement (snare, bass, tenors, cymbals) will be assigned early in the Drumline Camp. Mass emails will be sent to all prospective band members each month beginning in March with information for the upcoming fall, and a detailed camp schedule will be available in June.
New members, please understand that many of you are coming from schools where you may have been among the top performers in your section. We do anticipate a healthy amount of competition in each section. Sometimes, members are not placed on their first choice. Please don’t be discouraged, we have had a number of drumline members make switches in their second or third years in the drumline. The important part is to be a member of a great university drumline and band program, and have a terrific experience!
It is very important that new and returning members read any emails from Alex Vallar and Dr. Smith. A Summer Information Packet will be sent via email to all prospective Marching Jayhawks in June that will provide information on band camp, the season, move-in, etc. If you have questions or issues, please contact Alex Vallar at firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr. Smith at email@example.com.
Thank you and we look forward to this upcoming season. Please stay safe and healthy!
Video Audition Requirements
1. "Legatos" (100BPM & 120BPM)
2. "16th & Triplet Timing" (100BPM & 120BPM
3. "16th Accent & Triplet Accent" (100BPM & 130BPM)
4. "Shups" (140BPM)
5. "Gallup" (100BPM & 140BPM)
6. "Fiesta" (100BPM & 140BPM)
7. "Paras" (120BPM & 130BPM)
8. "Stick Control" (1000BPM & 120BPM)
9. "1912" (104 BPM)
10. "What's the 2.0?" (110BPM)
11. "Bullsquatch: (120BPM)
12. "Begem" (110BPM)
12. PreGame Music (TEMPOS Provided on Charts)
Individual Video Requirements (follow these simple steps):
1. Prepare the music above on your own
2. Perform all 8 exercises and 1912, Bullsquatch, What is the 2.0?!, and Begem (one time each within the provided tempo range)
3. Have a metronome on while recording your video
4. Use a drum pad or drum (sitting or standing)
5. Create a private YouTube (or similar) video and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Submit video by Saturday, June 19at 11:59 p.m. Central Standard Time
Downloadable drumline materials: