Keyboard Skills Placement Examination
Freshmen and transfer students with no previous piano study experience should enroll in PIAN 144. No examination or permission number is necessary. Check with your advisor about your particular degree requirements.
If you have a background in piano playing, you may choose to take a Quiz-Out test. Successfully passing the Quiz-Out will exempt you from having to take that particular class. Check with your advisor about how this will impact your particular degree requirements.
Download Quiz-Out Test Sheets:
Fall 2022 & Spring 2023 Exam Information
Quiz-Outs for the Fall semester of 2022 will take place online. The deadline for recording submission is Friday, August 19th at 11:59 p.m. Submit your recordings as unlisted YouTube videos. It's permissible to either upload multiple videos, or to combine all the elements into one video. Send the completed YouTube video link(s) to Cullam Olsen, KU Group Piano Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Create and Share an Unlisted YouTube Video:
- Sign into your YouTube account.
- Click on “Your videos” in the left sidebar.
- Click on “Create” in the top righthand corner, then click on “Upload videos.”
- Upload your Quiz-Out video(s) by dragging and dropping them into the box, or by selecting them manually.
- At the beginning of the upload process you will be prompted to add a title: if you have multiple videos, please make clear which element is in each video by adding a title here.
- At the end of the upload process, in the “Visibility” step, you will be prompted to choose “private,” “unlisted,” or “public.” Select “unlisted.”
- Be sure to click “Save” to ensure your video is unlisted.
- Copy and send the YouTube video link(s), given to you after clicking “Save,” to Cullam Olsen, KU Group Piano Coordinator, at email@example.com.
- Submission deadline is 11:59 p.m. Friday, August 19th, 2022.
Spring 2023 Quiz-Out Information TBA