campanile bells

How Much Will it Cost?

The answer is different for each student who asks it. That’s because a thoughtful and tailored approach to affordability includes family savings and various forms of financial assistance.

Financial Aid & Scholarships

School of Music

Area & Other Scholarships

School of Music scholarships are typically awarded to incoming students, based on the quality of the audition, interview, and other criteria. New and current students are encouraged to seek out all eligible funds through the KU Academic Works Scholarship website. This is the main page for funding opportunities across the university. Inquiries about School of Music scholarships may be directed to your Area Coordinator or the Scholarships Coordinator, Dr. Matthew Smith.


The School of Music awards graduate teaching assistantships in all areas. On occasion, graduate research assistantships are available in music education and music therapy. Award amounts generally range from $3,400 - $13,600 per year and carry with them tuition waivers ranging from 25% to 100% depending upon the percentage of the appointment. The School makes about 80 appointments each year. They are renewable upon mutual agreement for up to two years for master’s work, three years for doctoral work, or five years combined. Contact your primary professor or Area Coordinator or more information.

School of Music Diversity Fellows Program

The School of Music (SoM) Diversity Fellows Program seeks students to provide leadership and develop opportunities for the school, with a focus on diversity. Fellows work with faculty and staff in the DEIB Committee at the school level to identify and support academic and professional development needs and provide resources, mentorship opportunities, and specialized programming for students across the school. Additional efforts will be made to sustain leadership funding awards and build a strong and supportive student community. The application for the Fellows Program will open in late July for the following academic year. For questions about the Diversity Fellows Program, please contact Anna Paradis

Other Opportunities

The School of Music employs many students annually to work as accompanists, stage managers, ensemble librarians, classroom assistants, laboratory monitors, office assistants, librarians, recital monitors, recording assistants, and stage crew. You must be a current student to be eligible. Search for student hourly positions on the KU Employment website. The University of Kansas is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution committed to a policy of equal opportunity in student admissions, student financial assistance, and faculty/ staff employment.

Domestic students are also eligible for Federal Work Study, which promotes part-time, hourly employment for financially eligible students, who “earn while they learn” on campus. Many departments are eager to hire student employees and can provide positions relevant to their degrees and hours that fit their academic schedules. Current students interested in this program should contact their financial aid counselor or submit a Federal Work-Study Request.

KU Opportunities

Graduate Studies

The Office of Graduate Studies offers many sources of funding, including fellowships, assistantships, and student awards.

The Office of Graduate Studies strongly encourages the use of Pivot to explore external scholarships and awards. Access Pivot.

Please note, that eligibility for many of these funding opportunities requires a current FAFSA on file. Remember to submit a FAFSA each year, the earlier the better!

Hall Center for the Humanities

The Hall Center for the Humanities is a designated research center on the University of Kansas campus. The Center’s primary mission is to stimulate and support research in the humanities, arts, and social sciences, especially of an interdisciplinary kind. The Hall Center for the Humanities offers many resources and opportunities for graduate students, including workshops and training as well as funding. The School of Music strongly encourages graduate students in all areas to explore the Hall Center resources.

Student Loans

Student loans are available through the Office of Student Financial Aid. For further information concerning financial assistance contact:

KU Visitor Center

1502 Iowa St.

Lawrence, KS 66045-7576


Fax: 785-864-5469

Phone: 785-864-4700

Types of AwardsFinancial Need (based on FASFA or ISNAW)
ScholarshipsBoth Need-Based and Non-Need Based
GrantsGenerally Need-Based
Federal Work-StudyNeed-Based
Kansas Career Work-StudyNon-Need Based
Federal Perkins Student LoanNeed-Based
Federal Loan for Disadvantaged Students (LDS)Need-Based
Federal Subsidized Stafford LoanNeed-Based
Federal Unsubsidized Stafford LoanNon-Need Based
Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)Non-Need Based
KU Endowment Association (KUEA) LoanNon-Need Based
Alternative LoansNon-Need Based

For complete information, visit KU Office of Student Financial Aid »