Graduate Application Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

When is the application deadline?

The priority application deadline for fall admission is December 1st to be considered for admission, scholarships, and GTA appointments. Students who apply after this priority deadline may still be considered, but it is not guaranteed. See list of all deadlines for each degree program.

IMPORTANT: ALL Piano, Voice, and Conducting performance applicants must submit a prescreening audition video within the application system by December 1st. Your application may not be considered if you do not meet this deadline. 

Is there an Application Fee Waiver available?

  • If you are a current McNair scholar, you are eligible for an application fee waiver and can mark as such on the application. The waiver will be applied to your application once you have marked your status.

Where do I send my application materials?

All of your application materials must be submitted online and applicants should review their Application Checklist to ensure all materials have been received. Applications will not be considered for admission until all required materials have been received and auditions are complete. See the Admission Process timeline for more details. 

What is required for a complete application?

  • Official Transcripts - Proof of a bachelor's degree (and any post-bachelor’s coursework or degrees) from a regionally accredited institution, or a foreign university with substantially equivalent bachelor's degree requirements
  • Proof of English proficiency for non-native English speakers (US degree or valid exam test scores)
  • Program-specific admission requirements
  • Resume or curriculum vitae
  • Personal statement
  • 3 Letters of reference
  • A writing sample or pre-screening video may be required depending on the program area (see the Graduate Auditions webpage for details)
  • An audition or interview may be required depending on the program area (see the Graduate Auditions webpage for details)

Where can I find funding?

Questions about new student funding (area scholarships and GTA positions) should be directed to the Area Coordinator for the program that the applicant is applying to.  A list of area coordinators can be found at:

GTA Application for the School of Music 

Information about Graduate Studies Funding can be found on the following websites:

Additional information about graduate funding can be found at:

What happens after I submit my application?

  • Between the priority deadline on December 1st and the final application deadline on April 1st, the area faculty will manage the audition or interview process and review all completed applications. This process may take several weeks to complete as it must be coordinated with the School and KU Graduate Admissions.
  • The professor will usually invite you to visit KU and discuss how your career goals may be compatible with the activities of that professor. Applicants are strongly encouraged to visit KU if invited to do so during our annual Audition & Interview Days in February.
  • Ultimately, students must be accepted by the program, school, and Graduate Admissions before they will receive a final admission decision. Students are asked to accept their admission decision if they plan to attend KU. 
  • Funding decisions are communicated after admission, generally between April-May (timing depends on the fiscal year budget timelines)

How long does it take to complete the program?

  • Master of Music (MM) - Generally, students complete all requirements for the MM degree in 2-3 years.
  • Master of Music Education (MME) - Students complete all requirements for the MME degree in 2-3 years. *Note Graduate Equivalency students may take longer. 
  • Doctor of Musical Arts (DMA) - Students generally complete the DMA requirements in 3-4 years.
  • Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) - Students complete all requirements for the PhD program in 4-6 years.

What is the Cost of Attendance?

Students have variable costs depending on if they plan to enroll full-time or part-time, are domestic or international students, and if they are provided funding in the form of a scholarship, fellowship, or Graduate Teaching Assistantship (GTA).