KU Community Music School Policy and Tuition
The policies stated below have been constructed to ensure a quality relationship between the student, parent, and teacher. The intent is to provide a sound educational environment for the student.
We currently offer two plans of study:
The Piano Basics Program includes weekly lessons and involvement in CMS recitals.
Students wishing to take their ambitions beyond obligations of the Piano Basics Program may enroll in the Accelerated Program, which includes lessons and CMS recitals, plus participation in KCMTA events, Piano Guild auditions, KU master classes, and studio classes. Small fees apply to each of the events except studio classes, and range from $20-
$30. For more information on KCMTA events, please visit Kansas City Music Teachers Association.
NOTE: tuition is the same for both programs.
All students must sign and submit an enrollment form, registration fee, program of choice, and payment on or before their first lesson in order to register with KUCMS. A student will not be given a lesson unless a contract agreement and first payment have been received. If a student decides to discontinue study prematurely, no refund will be given except under extenuating circumstances only.
Students must purchase their own materials for each lesson. These include:
- Music books and materials (i.e. metronome, staff paper, flashcards). These will be selected based on the individual discretion of the instructor. Parents are responsible for purchasing all materials.
Students are expected to come to each lesson on time with their materials and assignments/pieces prepared. A practice regimen will be tailored individually to each student, and to ensure consistent progress, an open dialogue is encouraged between parent, teacher, and student about his or her assignments, practice plan, and behavior.
If a student consistently takes lessons unprepared, lessons may be discontinued without refund at the discretion of the instructor.
An academic year of study includes 30 weeks of instruction (15 weeks per semester) for all students. Students are expected to arrive promptly for classes and lessons. Teaching sessions will not extend past the usual ending time to compensate for late arrivals.
If a student is consistently absent without notice, lessons may be discontinued without refund at the discretion of the instructor.
Instructors must be notified of absences 48 hours in advance of the lesson time. Absences within the 48 hour period will not be made up and no refunds will be made. If the instructor must cancel a lesson, it will be rescheduled.
To ensure consistent study, students are permitted only two make-up lessons each semester. Any further missed lessons will not be made-up.
(Official lessons are not scheduled during KU school breaks.)
Registration fee: A registration fee of $28 per student or $38 for families with two or more students enrolled must be paid before or on the first lesson. The registration fee will be waived if yearly tuition is paid in full upon enrollment.
1. Yearly tuition may be paid in full upon enrollment. The registration fee will be waived if this option is chosen.
2. Semester tuition may be paid in full before or at the first lesson of each semester:
· Fall semester: week of Sep. 5, 2023
· Spring semester: week of Jan. 16, 2024
3. Four equal payments may be made according to the Tuition Table provided below. The first payment is due by the first lesson. All accounts will be emailed a receipt for each payment.
4. Tuition payments will decrease in families with more than one child enrolled.
- Family Discount: Each family that enrolls more than one child or family member within the same household will receive a 10% discount:
- 1st family member: Full tuition
- 2nd family member: 10% off tuition
- 3rd family member: 10% off tuition
Tuition Payment Plan
|Lesson Length||Per Year||Per Semester|
|Lesson Length||1st Payment|
(Sep. 8, 2023)
(Oct. 20, 2023)
(Jan. 19, 2024)
(Mar. 15, 2024)
KUCMS only accepts online payments (credit cards).
Late Payments: If a payment is not received by THE due date, a late fee of 10% of the payment amount will be assessed. If the payment plus the late fee is not collected 14 days after the due date, lessons will not be provided until payment is made.
Please note the dates of holiday breaks and performances in the Fall 2023-Spring 2024 Calendar. Parents and students will be provided with further detailed information about included workshops and recitals in the upcoming weeks. Note: dates and times are subject to change.
Thank you for carefully reading the KUCMS policy. Please retain this document for your records, and sign and turn in the enrollment/contract agreement form by the student's first lesson. If you have any questions, please contact Danlei Yang, Director of Community Music School at email@example.com.