Thank You for Your Interest in the KU Drumline!
Our drumline is an integral part of the Marching Jayhawks. Beginning with the entry cadence of our traditional Pregame show, to our entertaining halftime shows, and good vibes in the stands, our drumline provides the pulse for it all!
There are several clinics for current and prospective drumline members this spring and summer. These free camps provide an excellent opportunity for potential students to meet current members, sharpen their skills, and become acquainted with the techniques used in the KU Drumline.
Spring 2022 Open Drumline Clinics, 130 Murphy Hall
University of Kansas Drumline Open Drumline Clinics Registration
These sessions are an opportunity to play in a relaxed atmosphere and meet our instructors and returning members. They are open to returning drumline members, as well as students at KU and high school students. Parking is available ($) in the Allen Fieldhouse parking garage across the street from Murphy Hall.
- Wednesday, February 16: 8:00 - 9:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 23: 8:00 - 9:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 20: 8:00 - 9:30 p.m.
Summer 2022 Drumline Audition Clinics, 130 Murphy Hall
University of Kansas Drumline Audition Clinic Registration
- Friday, June 10: 1:00-9:00 p.m.
- Saturday, June 11: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Friday, July 8: 1:00-9:00 p.m.
- Saturday, July 9: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
2022 Drumline Auditions
Auditions are required for all students, including returning members, who wish to be considered for the 2022 KU Drumline. Auditions will be submitted via video. The deadline to submit your audition video is Friday, July 15. Audition results will be sent during the week of July 18. Video Audition Requirements are listed below.
Participation at the summer clinics is strongly encouraged, as this enables our instructors to work with prospective members in person and best assess skills, comprehension, and retention. Prospective members, we understand that many of you will come from schools where you may have been among the top performers in your section. Our auditions are competitive, and there is the possibility that we will not be able to accept all students into the 2022 Drumline.
Students selected to participate in the Marching Jayhawks Drumline will report and begin Drumline Camp on Tuesday, August 9. Students who live in KU housing will be able to move in that day. Drumline camp runs morning, afternoon, and evenings beginning with the first meeting on the evening of Tuesday, August 9. Note that final instrument placement (snare, bass, tenors, or cymbals) will be assigned by the Drumline Instructors early in the Drumline Camp.
It is very important that new and returning members read all emails from Alex Vallar and Dr. Smith. A Summer Information Packet will be sent via email to all prospective Marching Jayhawks in June that will provide information on band camp, the season, move-in, etc. If you have questions or issues, please contact Alex Vallar at email@example.com or Dr. Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alex Vallar, Drumline Instructor
Callee Curtis, Drumline Instructor
Dr. Matt Smith, Director, Marching Jayhawks
Video Audition Requirements
- "Legatos" (100BPM & 120BPM)
- "16th & Triplet Timing" (100BPM & 120BPM
- "16th Accent & Triplet Accent" (100BPM & 130BPM)
- "Shups" (140BPM)
- "Gallup" (100BPM & 140BPM)
- "Fiesta" (100BPM & 140BPM)
- "Paras" (120BPM & 130BPM)
- "Stick Control" (1000BPM & 120BPM)
- "1912" (104 BPM)
- "What's the 2.0?" (110BPM)
- "Bullsquatch: (120BPM)
- "Begem" (110BPM)
- PreGame Music (TEMPOS Provided on Charts)
Individual Video Requirements (follow these simple steps):
- Prepare the music above on your own
- Perform all 8 exercises and 1912, Bullsquatch, What is the 2.0?!, and Begem (one time each within the provided tempo range)
- Have a metronome on while recording your video
- Use a drum pad or drum (sitting or standing)
- Create a private YouTube (or similar) video and send to email@example.com
- Submit video by Friday, July 15 11:59 p.m. Central Standard Time