Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
The School pledges to:
- Recognize that diversity in the School’s faculty and staff, classrooms, ensembles, studios, and organizations is critical to maintaining academic and artistic excellence;
- Provide an equitable and safe environment that embraces and respects all people, regardless of their race, ethnicity, gender identity, age, disability status, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, first-generation status, socio-economic status, citizenship status, national origin, and veteran status; and
- Acknowledge that sustained dedication to these values is only possible through ongoing professional and personal development in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, access, and social justice, and the development of policies that encourage the recruitment and retention of faculty, staff, and students from diverse background.
The KU School of Music Multicultural Scholars Program is a unique opportunity for undergraduate music majors from historically underrepresented backgrounds, including students of color, first-generation college students, and students with high financial needs. MSP Scholars in the School of Music receive a renewable scholarship, faculty mentorship, academic support, and a welcoming community. The KU School of Music is dedicated to nurturing and advancing the art of music through excellence in teaching, mentorship, creative endeavors, and research.
The School of Music (SoM) Diversity Fellows Program supports four underrepresented (URM) or minority students to provide leadership and develop opportunities for the school, with a focus on diversity. Fellows work with faculty and staff in the DEIB Committee at the school level to identify and support academic and professional development needs, and provide resources, mentorship opportunities, and specialized programming for students across the school. Additional efforts will be made to sustain leadership funding awards and build a strong and supportive student community. For questions about the Diversity Fellows Program, please contact Anna Paradis.
Music & DEIB Events
DEIB Resources at KU
- KU Office of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
- Center for Sexuality and Gender Diversity
- KU Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Emily Taylor Center for Women and Gender Equity
- Social Justice Education and Training
- DEIB & Other Student Committee Options
- ADA Resource Center for Equity & Accessibility